- Opened up the library.
- Helped a colleague with some scanning – extracting and inserting pages. I had no idea what I was doing, having never used the scanning software before, but we managed to make it do what we needed it to do. My colleague is one of several colleagues involved in scanning journal articles and chapters from books so they can be put on Blackboard, our virtual learning environment.
- Processsed some SCONUL Access card applications.
- Helped several students look for books, which were not always on the shelf as most of our books are in storage at the moment due to the fact that we are in a temporary library, waiting to move into a shiny new building.
- Added yet more IDs to the overdues spreadsheet.
- Dealt with a fines payment by posted cheque – sent receipt to the student.
- Had lunch.
- Went on issue desk. Returned and issued some books and showed several people where the photocopier is and how to use it.
- Added even more student IDs to the overdues spreadsheet. It is beginning to get on my nerves now, as I am probably getting on yours due to the boring and repetitive nature of these blog posts.
- Colleague asked me to print off a copy of the rota so she doesn’t have to go and keep looking at in on the wall.
- Had break. Met line manager in the staff room (by accident) and discussed the activity at the new building (moving lots of books and making sure they’re in the right order). Also discussed the training of new Senior Library Assistants, which is going to very difficult to accomplish before September, due to aforementioned activity which means that the potential trainers and trainees are hardly ever (if ever) available at the same time.
- Did the till reconciliation.
- Another colleague locked themselves out of Aleph! Fortunately, there was another login they could use.
- Took some TOIL (time of in lieu) and went home early.